What’s That Called? – Dictionary of Facial Piercings

As promised, here is the next installment of the piercing dictionary.  This time we go through the facial piercings, which I’ve split up by general area for easier flow.  Enjoy!

Nose

Standard “Nose Piercing:” a piercing of either nostril, normally worn as a stud or a ring.

Standard Nose Piercings

Septum: a piercing of the septum, which is the area between the two nostrils.

Septum Nose Piercing

Bridge: a piercing of the nose bridge.

Piercing of the Nose Bridge

Vertical Bridge or “third eye:” a vertical surface piercing or dermal piercing at the top of the nose’s bridge or directly between the eyebrows.

Vertical Bridge or Third Eye Piercing

Mouth

Medusa: a piercing of the philtrum (the dent in the upper lip just below the septum.)

Medusa or Philtrum Piercing

Jestrum or “vertical medusa:” a vertical piercing through the philtrum in which both ends are visible.

Vertical Medusa Piercing

Monroe: any piercing of the upper lip underneath the nose.  (This piercing is named for Marylin Monroe and her signature beauty mark, but over the years it has also come to be know by the names “Madonna” and “Crawford,” referencing other icons who have also been known for moles or beauty marks in the same area.)

Marylin Lip Piercing

Labret: any piercing below the lower lip.

Centered Labret Piercing

Vertical Labret: a verticle piercing directly through the lower lip in which both ends are visible.

Vertical Style Labret Piercing

Lowbret: this is what very low labret type piercings that rest on the surface of the chin are called.

Lowbret Piercings

Snake Bites: a set of two lower lip piercings, one on either side of the face.

Lower Lip Snakebites Piercing

Spider Bites: a set of two lower lip piercings right next to each other on the same side.

Lower Lip Spider Bites Piercing

Angel Bites: a set of two piercings just above the upper lip, one on either side.

Upper Lip Angel Bites Piercing

Eyes and Cheeks

Eyebrow Piercing: any piercing through the skin of the eyebrow.

Standard Eyebrow Piercing

Anti-eyebrow Piercing: a surface piercing next to the eyebrow or below the outer corner of the eye.

Different Style Anti-Eyebrow Piercings

Eyelid Piercing: this is just what it sounds like; a piercing of the actual eyelid.  It can be done horizontally near the crease like a surface piercing, or be a single piercing through the lid near the lash line.  Amazing, huh?!

Different Style Eyelid Piercings

Dimple Piercing: a piercing through the natural cheek dimple, or in the case of not having dimples, through the spot on the cheek where a dimple would normally be.

Piercings of the Cheeks/Dimples

Join me next time as we take a look at all the different piercings that can be done inside the mouth and on the tongue!

Comments

1. pickle pete says:

the people with the actual eye piercing in your eye, yeah well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. pickle pete says:

but the chick with the blonde hair, I like that spider bite piercing, by the way i am a girl, i put my name as pickle pete cause i didnt want identity theft, but, yup, thats my point, u dont lyk it, then get over it!!!!!

3. i love the snake bites and the spider bites but the eye lid one is takin it to far

4. well, sh*t. i’ve got snakebites. i’m curious about getting spiders on each side and some vampire bites… any ideas?

5. nevershoutsarahhh says:

Ughhh , I want a Monroe piercing so bad <3

6. Kannibal Lane says:

What are two sets of spider bites called? I’ve had them for 4yrs and I still don’t know

7. Where I live they’re usually called “shark bites.” :)

8. these people are f*cking crazy to get these kinds of piercings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. the Eyelid one..I wanna f*ing punch them….if they go blind or loose their eye Ima laugh in their face. IDIOTS…

10. Music Monster says:

Ok man the snake bites and labrets rock but in my opinion the eyelids are taking it little to far but that’s just me so if you like them it’s your thing and that rocks

11. There are a few missing from this page. High nostril. Dahlia. Horizontal eyebrow.

12. Yeah, couldn’t possibly fit them all. lol. Thought about putting in dahlias, horizontal brows, septril, rhino, mandible, teardrops, nasallang, dolphin bites, and a whole ton of others, but that just leaves room for another post about it! :)

13. SO I have a piercing on my lower lip on one side. What is that called? The “Labret” says anything on the lower lip. But I thought it was in the center. I have half a snake bite? Idk. lol Can anyone tell me what exactly I have? Thanks! :)

14. Technically they say that any piercing of the lower lip is a “labret” piercing, but I hear people just call them a “lip piercing” instead all the time. Either way I think they look pretty sweet. :)

15. nicole guzman says:

i want the anti eyebow piercing

16. Alecksis says:

I got the Monroe but this girl called it the Madonna because it was on the right side not the left I was confused I thought they were gonna pierce something else so I had to look it up

17. I know what you mean! In some areas of the US people differentiate between the two, and in others they don’t. I’ve definitely hear it called a Madonna on that side at least once or twice, but FAR less. I think most people just use the word Monroe for both sides and leave it at that. :)